Collagen, the Body’s Glue
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a protein and is the main component of all connective tissues. It comprises up-to 25 to 35% of the total protein in the body. Their cross-linking ability form elongated fibers, mesh-like webs, and sheet-like structures that strengthen and support the body.
Collagen is known as the body’s ‘glue’, and described as ‘the beauty protein’.
Collagen is found virtually everywhere throughout the entire body: skin, hair, nails, the heart, bones, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, muscle, connective tissues, and more…
As we age our ability to synthesize proteins slows down and interferes with collagen production. Some experts say by age 21 we begin to lose collagen by 1% per year. After menopause a woman’s collagen declines more rapidly than any previous loss.
Most of us don’t consume enough daily protein for the body’s basic maintenance. With adequate collagen coursing through our arteries the body has the building blocks for the creation of strong new cells. The outward proof is seen in the skin, hair and nails.
Collagen loss results in bone density reduction, joint pain, thinning skin, wrinkled and sagging skin, brittle hair and nails, loosening of all connective tissues that support the internal organs, and so on…leading to the increased potential for age related maladies.
Collagen benefits to the following:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: 60 patients over 3 months reduced swollen joints and tender points, with approximately 7% having complete remission
- Osteoarthritis: 80 patients had reduced joint discomfort and significant improvement in joint mobility
- Skin: reduced fine lines, wrinkles and improved elasticity
- Hair and Nails: were strengthened and more break resistant
- Bones: hardness, density and stress resistance increased, reduced risk of fracture
When the body has sufficient collagen then additional supplements like Hydraplenish, Biosil, Silicea and others work with the collagen specifically for the skin, hair and nails.
Collagen has a significant role in our total well being and quality of life, especially as we age.
Be proactive, visit The Healthy Habit for these and other collagen related products.